PubliBike is a joint bike-sharing service provided by PostBus Switzerland, the SBB und Rent a Bike. These three partners have pooled their competencies to offer a nationwide solution that enables customers to borrow bicycles and e-bikes using a national electronic access card.
Bike sharing is part of Combined Mobility. It is the ideal complement to private and public means of transport over short distances, alleviating traffic congestion in inner cities and helping users to keep fit and healthy. With this bike-sharing service, PostBus is opening up the “last mile” for its customers and making public transport more attractive by extending the mobility chain in a more individualized way.
PubliBike users reach their destination comfortably with public transport, collect their individual means of transport from a self-service pick-up point and enjoy roaming inner cities on a bicycle or e- bike. This bike rental system represents a new congestion- and CO2-free mobility in built-up areas.
PubliBike builds on the tried-and-tested features of bike sharing, improving and expanding the system to create many advantages compared with the existing service. For instance:
- Bicycles and e-bikes are available round the clock on a self-service basis.
- PubliBike supplements bike-sharing with e-bikes.
- A personal subscription complete with RFID card gives customers easy access to all PubliBike facilities throughout Switzerland and is compatible with other bike-sharing-systems.
- PubliBike is not just available to subscribers. Spur-of-the-moment bikers can also use their credit cards to rent bicycles or e-bikes.
- Real-time bicycle and e-bike availability can be downloaded using a smartphone app.
The first PubliBike B-Station is located in Lucerne, between the main railway station and the KKL Culture and Convention Center. In the course of 2011, the project partners will be equipping further railway stations with bicycles and e-bikes, and from 2012, the product can be acquired by local authorities, municipalities and companies.