PubliBike is the joint bike sharing service from PostBus, SBB and Rent a Bike. The three partners have combined their skills to provide a solution offering customers across the whole of Switzerland an easy means of borrowing bicycles and e-Bikes using a national, electronic access card.
Bike sharing is a component of combined mobility. It is the ideal complement to public and private transport over short distances, easing traffic congestion in city centres while improving users’ health. With the bike sharing service, PostBus opens up the last mile for customers and increases the attractiveness of public transport. PubliBike is also suitable for connecting business locations, e.g. universities, administrations or large company premises.
Anyone using PubliBike arrives conveniently by public transport before collecting their self-service personal means of transport and enjoying a ride through the city centre by bicycle or e-Bike.
PubliBike incorporates the tried-and-tested features of bike sharing, optimizing and extending them to offer numerous advantages compared with existing services:
- PubliBike has expanded the bike-sharing service to include e-Bikes.
- Bicycles and e-Bikes are available for self-service hire 24 hours a day.
- Members enjoy easy access to all PubliBike facilities throughout by means of an RFID card.
- PubliBike is not only available to membership holders. At selected points of purchase, spontaneous users can obtain a day pass and then borrow a bicycle or e-Bike. (Payment will soon also be possible by credit card.)
- Companies can grant their employees access to the service using their employee identification badge.
- It is possible to check the real-time availability of bicycles and e-Bikes or using the smartphone app.
The PubliBike network provides more than 1,100 bicycles and e-Bikes at over 110 stations throughout Switzerland (as at October 2013) and is constantly growing.